Sunday, December 6, 2009

"Stay to the Left"

After a smooth three hour flight from Fiji to Auckland, New Zealand, we picked up our Campervan and headed for the west coast. Holy Sh**, driving on the left side of the road in a 20’ long Campervan which has the steering wheel on the right and the stick shift in your left hand is quite the nerve-racking experience. It was only about a forty minute drive, but the road was as windy, hilly and small as I have ever been on. By the end of the drive, my butt hurt from clenching it so long, and I smelled as bad as an Indian Bizaar!!! My deodorant definitely let me down… Sally praised me for getting us there alive, but was not willing to hug me.. The drive was worth it, because Piha is a beautiful little beach town with waves, a cool vibe, and nice locals. We ate and hung out at the local Surf Rescue Club, which dates back to 1934, and is famous throughout New Zealand for its surf rescue school. After dinner, we set about the task of properly moving into the Campervan. It took all of Sally’s Interior Space Planning and my Industrial Engineering ability to make it all fit. Thank God for College Degrees – Thanks Mom and Dad!! Caught some waves with Charlie in the AM and headed north for the Bay of Islands.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jimmy, you are too funny, I miss having you around to make me laugh.
    But I feel your pain, can't tell you how many times I yelled out "WRONG SIDE" when JB was driving in Australia. But jeez, I cannot imagine a stick shift on the left too! wow, Im impressed. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete